Robert E. McLaughlin
- Managing and Senior Partner
Robert E. McLaughlin, Sr., the firm's managing and senior partner, was born on October 4, 1937 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He concentrates his practice litigating business disputes, but also represents a wide variety of clients before all of the trial courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as well as the federal courts.
Mr. McLaughlin graduated from Tufts University in 1959, majoring in government, and received his J.D. degree from Boston College Law School in 1963. He then joined a family law firm headed by his father and uncle. In 1975, after his father was appointed Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, he, together with Arthur Gilman and David Hanrahan, founded Gilman, McLaughlin and Hanrahan LLP.
Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations. He is a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. Over the years, he has been active in civic affairs and was recognized by receiving the Town of Arlington’s “Samuel Wilson Outstanding Citizen” Award. He has served on numerous charitable boards and has been particularly active at his alma mater where he served, among other capacities, as an Overseer of Tufts University. In 1998 he was recognized by receiving the Tufts “Distinguished Alumni” award. In his home town of Belmont Mr. McLaughlin serves in several capacities including as Chairman of the Fire Stations Building Committee, on the Town Finance Committee, and as an elected Town Meeting member.
Mr. McLaughlin has been married to his wife, Joan, for over 54 years. They have four grown children, three of whom have followed in his footsteps and are attorneys in Massachusetts.
Areas of Practice
- Business Disputes
- Massachusetts, 1963
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1970
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1965
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Tufts University
- Major: Government
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Samuel Wilson Outstanding Citizen Award, Town of Arlington
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Tufts University
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- Tufts University, Overseer
Past Employment Positions
- Massachusetts Superior Court, Chief Justice, 1975
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman, Fire Stations Building Committee
- Town Finance Committee
- Town Meeting Member