High Net Worth Divorce Attorneys In Boston
When you have worked hard to prepare for your future, the prospect of losing it in a divorce can bring about a range of emotions. High net worth divorces are often contentious because each side has so much at stake. Having a skilled lawyer on your side who understands your goals and concerns can play a vital role in the outcome of your divorce action.
At Gilman, McLaughlin & Hanrahan, LLP, our Boston family law attorneys have been helping clients pursue positive outcomes in and out of family court since founding our firm in 1973. Whether you are going through a divorce or need assistance with any other Massachusetts family law matter, we can help. Contact our firm online or call 617-580-3180 today to schedule a consultation.
Protecting Your Assets During A Divorce
Our lawyers are experienced at helping our clients obtain accurate accountings of marital assets and debts. We will also help you negotiate or litigate the division of these assets. We can assist you with:
- Real property appraisals, sales, transfers and division — An equitable division of property depends upon an accurate valuation. Whether you have only your marital residence or multiple properties, including investment properties or vacation homes, we have the resources necessary to establish a fair and accurate valuation of these properties.
- Issues involving family businesses — In situations where both parties are tied to a family business, a succession plan must be laid out. Whether that involves one party buying out the other party’s interest, dissolving the business or selling it entirely, we can help you navigate the issues associated with it.
- Maximizing tax benefits — There are many tax issues associated with divorce, especially when there are significant assets. Any potential tax penalties should be factored into the division of property. Our attorneys have a thorough understanding of how assets are taxed when transferred as part of a divorce. We will guide you through a division of assets while focusing on minimizing any tax consequences to you.
- Addressing the impact of antenuptial agreements — While antenuptial agreements, also called prenuptial agreements, are intended to protect disputes in the event of a divorce, there are circumstances where a prenuptial agreement will be held invalid. If you have a prenuptial agreement, we will evaluate it to determine whether there are any issues that would make it or portions of it unenforceable. Even if a prenuptial agreement is valid and enforceable, we can provide guidance regarding the extent of its coverage.
Alimony considerations — Massachusetts has recently overhauled the way it approaches spousal support. The Alimony Reform Act changed the way spousal support is calculated. We will discuss how Massachusetts law impacts your situation.
- Retirement and other investment account division — In most instances, couples will have retirement accounts and other investments. Regardless of how your retirement account or another investment plan is structured, we can advise you of how it should be allocated and what tax factors are involved.
Our Advantage With High-Asset Divorces
Our clients trust us because of the breadth of our experience in business matters. Through our diverse practice and years of experience handling these types of cases, we have built up a network of professionals that we work with, which helps us properly analyze assets. These individuals also provide other expert services that can help inform negotiations, strategy and trial preparation. We are here to help you reach creative solutions that address all of your needs.
Uncovering Hidden Assets
One of the challenges many individuals face is identifying and locating concealed assets. Our team of experts includes forensic accountants who are adept at identifying and tracing assets that may be hidden.
Strategic Guidance To See You Through
Because of our strategic and detailed focus, we have the knowledge and resources to consider the implications of our clients’ choices from a variety of angles. The result is an optimal solution to meet each client’s legal needs. Contact our attorneys to discuss what we can do to help you pursue your goals.