The Experience And Skill
Your Needs Demand

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Commercial Litigation
  4.  » How can you handle community property disputes?

How can you handle community property disputes?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2021 | Commercial Litigation |

Whether you currently own and operate a business or you have purchased a piece of land to construct your new venture, matters may not always run as smoothly as you may like. Disagreements regarding who owns what land or who is responsible for the business could arise, leaving you to wonder where to turn to next.

It is important to know your rights as a business and property owner, as well as what you can do if someone should challenge that ownership. According to, ensuring matters are carried out properly can help minimize commercial property disputes.

What are property disputes?

A property dispute can occur when another person or entity disagrees with something, such as:

  • Property lines
  • Buildings blocking access to a business or construction issues
  • Ownership issues, such as boundary, leasing or title disputes
  • Zoning laws
  • Insurance coverage and property taxes

Disputes may also arise if a party misleads you intentionally in an attempt to get additional money or property rights from a negotiation. Furthermore, if a party does not perform an agreed-upon service, you may file a fraud complaint.

What can you do?

When a disagreement arises, the first step is to communicate with the other party. In some cases, a simple misunderstanding or small dispute can be settled through a conversation. Other more complicated issues may involve mediation or court litigation.

Before you approach the other party, be sure to gather all the information needed for your case. This could include documents, surveyor reports, property analysis, contracts and even pictures of the property or damage.

You may also want to seek legal counsel to ensure you have everything you need to defend your position. If the other party is not open to mediation, you may need to file a formal complaint.